I traveled to Spiel 2012 in Essen, Germany today. It’s a yearly tradition to visit Europe’s biggest gaming fair and even though many people are saying it gets less interesting every year, I still manage to find nice deals.
I’ve only visited Hall 6 which is where the RPG goodies lie in wait. Below an overview of my loot for the day.
Malcolm’s booth is one of the reasons why I go to Essen every year. I knew beforehand that he had bought a big Call of Cthulhu collection and he was kind enough to send me a list of all the goodies so I could check what was interesting. While I was going through the boxes of Cthulhu books, he just kept piling up one boxed set after another. “Oh Ralph, I also have the 2nd edition boxed set, ah yeah and also the Gaslight boxed set. Oh and here’s another stack. You can’t make a choice until you have seen all of it…”
- PAG5004 – A guide to the Cthulhu cult (1998)
- Necronomicon Press – A history of the Necronomicon (6th print 1992)
- CHA2324 – Call of Cthulhu 4th edition (1989)
- CHA3302 – H.P. Lovecraft’s Dreamlands (1988)
- CHA2312 – Alone against the dark (1985)
- CHA2344 – Keeper’s Compendium (1993)
- CHA2346 – Investigator’s Compendium Volume 2 (1994)
- CHA8804 – H.P. Lovecraft’s Kingsport (2003)
- CHA2377 – Before the fall (1998)
- CHA2373 – Dead Reckonings (1998)
- CHA2361 – The Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep Hardcover (2006)
- CHA2314-X – Cthulhu by Gaslight (1986)
- CHA2009-X – Call of Cthulhu 1st edition, 2nd printing (1982)
- CHA2301-X – Call of Cthulhu 2nd edition (1983)
- TRIAD0003 – Whispers in the dark (1993)
- CHA2317-H/004411 – Call of Cthulhu 3rd edition (1986)
- 178301 – Call of Cthulhe 2nd edition (1983)
I picked up some Pathfinder books I was still missing. I didn’t get the biggest of discounts but it still beats the regular prices at the FLGS.
- PZO1002 – Rise of the Runelords Anniversary edition (2012)
- PZO1114 – Game Mastery Guide (2010)
- PZO1115 – Advanced Player’s Guide (2010)
- PZO1118 – Ultimate Combat (2011)
- PZO9407 – Cheliax, Empire of Devils (2009)
- PZO9413 – Orcs of Golarion (2010)
I happened upon a booth where I saw a number of cheap books and scenery all stacked in boxes. Then suddenly my eye fell upon a rack of novels with a 1 euro tag on it. 1 euro for hardcover novels is too good to pass up on.
- TSR 8483 – The Dark Elf Trilogy Book 3 – Sojourn (1991)
- TSR 21799 – Songs & Sword Book 3 – Silver Shadows
- WOTC 177590000 – The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy Book 3 – The two swords (2004)
- WOTC 886250000 – War of the Spider Queen Book 3 – Condemnation (2003)
- WOTC 177260000 – War of the Spider Queen Book 6 – Resurrection (2005)
- WOTC 888520000 – The Legend of Drizzt Book 2 – Exile (2004)
- WOTC 963620000 – The Legend of Drizzt Book 3 – Sojourn (2004)
- WOTC 950167200 – The Legend of Drizzt Book 6 – The Halfling’s Gem (2005)
- WOTC 955497200 – The Legend of Drizzt Book 9 – Siege of Darkness (2006)
- WOTC 959237200 – The Legend of Drizzt Book 10 – Passage of Dawn (2007)
Here’s some more ‘bin’ material. The D20 stuff came from a 3 euro bin, the 4E Power cards were 1 euro per pack so I just got a full display case. The Shadows of Esteren book obviously doesn’t fall under the category ‘bin material’. I supported their kickstarter and got the limited edition of their Book 1 – Universe that way. I picked up the regular version at their booth.
- WOTC 251080000 – Arcane Power Power Cards Display (2009)
- WOTC 242960000 – Player’s Handbook 2 Power Cards Display (2009)
- AEG 8506 – River of Blood (2002)
- MYG 0201 – Arcane Mysteries – Blight Magic (2002)
- WW16003 – Sword & Sorcery – Beyond all reason (2002)
- WW16142 – Sword & Sorcery – Arcana Unearthed – DM’s Screen and Player’s Guide (2003)
- AGA10001 – Shadows of Esteren – Book 1, Universe (2012)
I also got a Shadows of Esteren t-shirt through the kickstarter and since that’s the only gaming related shirt I have, I decided to wear it to Spiel. When I showed up at the Esteren booth, Nellyhann, one of the authors, immediately greeted me and asked if I had brought my book so they could sign it. He introduced me to illustrators Chris and Gawain and we had a chat about the game. This is Chris’ piece in my limited edition version of the book. Nellyhann was kind enough to personalise it as well.
When I returned to pick up my limited edition, I also bought a copy of the regular version and Nellyhann insisted it should be signed too. Gawain took care of the illustration in this book and while he was drawing, Nellyhann and another volunteer went through my Cthulhu purchases together. The Esteren staff was as excited as me about the Cthulhu boxed sets. I can recommend this game to everyone. The book are filled with stunning artwork and these guys are incredibly kind, thankful for the support they get, and big fans of roleplaying games.
RPGames is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.