Another two weeks have passed and the time has come to report once more on the status of roleplaying games on kickstarter. In this RPG highlight I’m showcasing 12 RPG projects and probably even more RPG fanzines courtesy of ZineQuest. All these projects are ending between the 11th and 24th of March 2019.
Icarus by Hunters Entertainment is a storytelling game about the fall of a great civilization. Watch Becca Scott explain how the game is played or check the live playthrough of Icarus on Geek & Sundry.
Heroes & Treasure: Darkness & Light Campaign
The Darkness & Light Campaign by Davis & Daughters Games is the first expansion campaign for Heroes & Treasures. It follows the adventures of the base campaign, letting players use their tenth-level characters in an all-new scenario, with new monsters, new allies, and even new map tiles.
Master of the Rogue Spire
Master of the Rogue Spire by Samuraifight LLC is a new RPG system with simple rules, lots of customization, and an old-school feel that is based on a simple mechanic that drives the players to make impactful choices.
The Master of the Rogue Spire kickstarter has already funded and is ending on the 13th of March. Pick up the free Master of the Rogue Spire Quickstart Guide on DriveThruRPG!
Crypt of the Science Wizard
Crypt of the Science-Wizard by Skeeter Green Productions is a site-based adventure for the 5th edition and Swords & Wizardry RPG rulesets.
The Crypt of the Science Wizard kickstarter has already funded and is ending on the 13th of March.
Lunars: Fangs at the Gate
Lunars: Fangs at the Gate by Onyx Path Publishing is a core expansion for the Exalted tabletop roleplaying game. Exalted 3rd Edition is set in a mythic world where spirits walk openly among men, warring demigods topple kingdoms, and the restless dead roam on moonless nights.
Citadel of Terror
Citadel of Terror by New Comet Games is an adventure module for starting characters set in the new World of Darknoth. Ruleswise the adventure is compatible with the 1st, 2nd, and 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons rules.
The Citadel of Terror kickstarter has already funded and is ending on the 15th of March.
Comrades by W.M. Akers is a tabletop RPG about life in the revolutionary underground. Based on the Apocalypse World engine, it pits players against a corrupt government, forcing them to fight from the shadows to free the people from their chains.
The Comrades kickstarter has already funded and is ending on the 15th of March.
Heroes of Terra: The Mushroom War
Heroes of Terra is a pulp-fantasy setting for the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition in the vein of classic sword-and-sorcery literature, with a world that pays homage to classic video games of the early 1980s.
The Great American Novel
The Great American Novel, A Roleplaying Game by Christopher Grey is a collaborative storytelling tabletop roleplaying game for 3 to 6 players that uses character-driven game play to create a literary experience for a variety of settings and genres.
The Great American Novel kickstarter has already funded and is ending on the 20th March.
Bite Me! by Black Armada is a roleplaying game in which you play werewolves in a pack, exploring the relationships between Packmates, drawing out their loves, rivalries and betrayals.
Rise of the Drow Collector’s Edition
Rise of the Drow by AAW Games turns the ENnie-nominated Rise of the Drow book series into a massive 600+ page, collector’s edition hardcover.
The Rise of the Drow kickstarter has already funded and is ending on the 21st of March. Follow their progress on Twitter and pick up some of their other releases on DriveThruRPG!
Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2
Monsters 2 by Steve Jackson Games is a collection of new monsters for use with the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by GURPS!
Inspired by classic titles like Judges Guild and Alarums & Excursions, Kickstarter invited creators to launch their own RPG-inspired zine projects in February 2019 as part of Zine Quest, a celebration of these influential documents.
Below I will feature the zines that are ending in week 9 and 10 of 2019:
- Beneath the Canals: A system-agnostic mini-zine for exploring Pentolan Catacombs.
- Love letters from the Baker House Band: Games and other stuff from the regular players at Meguey & Vincent Baker’s house.
- Ghostlike Crime: An RPG zine series bringing magical realism, the paranormal, and cryptid terrors to a modern day setting. Compatible with DCC RPG.
- Synthesis: a #zinequest full of mini-rpgs about metatextuality, perspective, and creating new meanings.
- The Fan Favorite: An old-school fan-made, DIY collaborative RPG Zine for Masks: A New Generation, by Magpie Games.
- Obachan Panic: An RPG about neurotic aunties who save the world—and look good doing it. Inspired by my glamorous 87 year-old grandma.
- In Thoth’s Wake: A pulp adventure for the Fate Core roleplaying game system.
- Ideas!: A lot of plots and hooks for fantasy RPG’s Adventures… A very useful tool for dungeon masters!!!
- Terror of the Stratosfiend: A new tentacle and sorcery zine for the DCC RPG.
- Temple of the Blood Moth: A science-fantasy horror dungeon for Old School versions of Dungeons & Dragons.
- Whispers in the Dark: An RPG zine filled with horrifying tables to help a GM add a sense of eeriness to any game!
- RPG Nasty: This is a fully standalone RPG game about silly 80s VHS horror.
- Lifts: A ZineQuest RPG that uses exercise and getting active as the core resolution.
- Hair Metal Horror: Three 80’s Glam Metal Horror RPG Zine with chilling adventures and Quick-Play rules based on Blades in the Dark by John Harper.
- For Glory: A zine of tools for the Dungeon Crawl Classics table top role playing game.
- Desert Dwellers: An OSR Zine Bestiette.
- Strange New World Gazetteer: An RPG and OSR setting zine for adventuring in a strange fantasy version of colonial America. Fearsome creatures, witchcraft and weird.
- The Tomb of Black Sand: A dungeon crawl zine made for new school tabletop RPGs, but with old school sensibilities.
- The Isle of the Amazons: 2 issue Setting for Untold Adventure and other White Box based OSR RPGs.
- Ascension: A RPG zine focusing on epic/immortal games for the 5th Edition of the world’s greatest roleplaying game.
- Fools Haven Adventure Pack: Guides and Resources for Roleplaying in the Vague World in Zine format.
- Chthonic Cornbelt: A role-playing zine about a weird little town near the armpit of America, featuring declassified and irreverent confabulations.
- Xboat: A fanzine supporting the Traveller role-playing game.